Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway

Introduction

This railway is partly open between Cardonald and the Deanside Transit depot. The branch has not seen traffic for several years.






Dates

  /  /1897[Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway]
Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway authorised
  /  /1901[Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway]
[Caledonian Railway]
[Glasgow and South Western Railway]
Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway absorbed by Caledonian Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway.
01/06/1903[Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway]
Opened to passengers. Stations at; Deanside, Renfrew Kings Inch, Renfrew Porterfield.
19/07/1926[Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway]
Renfrew Porterfield to Cardonald Junction closed to passengers
06/07/1964[Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway]
Renfrew South No 2 to Renfrew Kings Inch closed to freight

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Cardonald to Renfrew

The main line carrying passengers, minerals and goods between Cardonald and Renfrew following a course close the the Clyde. At Renfrew the line turned south to serve the industry developing in the area to the south of Renfrew, following the River Cart a little inland. At Renfrew south there was a connection to the existing Paisley and Renfrew Railway at Renfrew south station, alongside the Renfrew Porterfield terminus.

This single lead junction is just west of Cardonald station. Its most recent purpose was to reach Deanside Transit.
...

More details
K2 Mogul 61772 Loch Lochy passing Cardonald Junction on 9 June 1959 with a westbound freight. (The plate on the left lamp bracket reads N279) ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 09/06/1959
View east at Cardonald Junction showing the cross-over from the centre track to the eastbound track for access to the Deanside Branch. ...
Ewan Crawford 27/11/2011
An Ayr service heads west at Cardonald Junction. The junction has not yet been re-laid for the third track but the overhead line equipment is a ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2009
47270 comes off the Deanside branch in 1988. The Paisley line has since been triple tracked and the area between the railway and the M8 developed. The ...
Ewan Crawford //1988


This was an island platform station.
...

More details
Privately owned 08 at Deanside Transit. Access by kind permission of Deanside Transit. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
A privately owned 08 at Deanside Transit. Shieldhall yard and M8 to right. Access by kind permission of Deanside Transit. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
The site of Deanside station, relegated to being the run round loop for Deanside Transit, looking to Cardonald. The buffer was just out of view. Much ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
The Deanside loop running alongside the M8 at Braehead in July 2009. ...
Colin Miller /07/2009


This was an island platform station with a goods yard on the west side, approached from a loop on the west side of the station. Access to the station was by a subway at the north end (the station was to the south of Station Road). The station building was canopied. This station was the closest to the town centre of Renfrew, unlike Renfrew Ferry by the River Clyde and Renfrew Fulbar Street ...

More details
At Kings Inch. CR type 4.6.0 54634. The Stephenson Locomotive Society Renfrew District Tour. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 03/05/1952

This was a two platform terminus directly across Porterfield Road from Renfrew South, on the north side of the road. The terminus was built within the considerable Babcock and Wilcox Works to the south of Renfrew on the east bank of the White Cart Water. The station was to the west of the original Paisley and Renfrew Railway, with which there was a connection north of the Porterfield ...

More details
View north at what was Renfrew Porterfield in 1998. The platform was to the left and through lines of the original Paisley and Renfrew Railway to the ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
C.R. 0.6.0 57300 working Porterfield station - Renfrew (South) in background. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 08/05/1953
Passing Renfrew (Porterfield) station. Class 2 4.4.0 40636 on up passenger. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 08/05/1953




King George V Dock Branch


43657 awaits cutting at Shieldhall scrapyard. See lighting tower in factory behind which could be seen from trains between Paisley and Glasgow. The 3F ...
Bill Hamilton /06/1963
View looking south over Shieldhall Yard. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Shieldhall Yard was lifted in April/May of 1987. A very short section was left behind, seen here. The view looks to the King George V Dock approach ...
Ewan Crawford 19/05/1987

This dock is on the south bank of the River Clyde. Although it has lost its railway connection via Shieldhall Yard, it remains open.
...

More details
Rails by the Quayside at the King George V Dock. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
The King George the 5th Dock was served by a branch of the Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway with a marshalling yard at Shieldhall. The yard and ...
Ewan Crawford 20/05/1987
Looking to the King George V Dock at the point where the rails fanned out. This photograph was taken to compare with an older shot of mine, 22 years ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2009
Passenger or parcels platform at the King George V Dock. ...
Ewan Crawford //

A passenger station was developed at the King George V Dock during the Second World War. ...

More details




Renfrew Harbour Branch

This was an island platform station.
...

More details
Privately owned 08 at Deanside Transit. Access by kind permission of Deanside Transit. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
A privately owned 08 at Deanside Transit. Shieldhall yard and M8 to right. Access by kind permission of Deanside Transit. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
The site of Deanside station, relegated to being the run round loop for Deanside Transit, looking to Cardonald. The buffer was just out of view. Much ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
The Deanside loop running alongside the M8 at Braehead in July 2009. ...
Colin Miller /07/2009



This was a coal fired power station. It was on the north side of King's Inch Road and served from the east by sidings from the Clyde Navigation Trust's Renfrew Harbour siding of the Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway. Trains entering the power station crossed the road on the level.
...

More details
A Barclay 0-4-0ST stands out of use in the gathering dusk at Braehead power station in November 1970. This large coal-fired power station, built after ...
Colin Miller /11/1970






Deanside Transit

This is a rail served transit depot near the M8, King George V dock, and Braehead shopping centre in Glasgow, just west of Cardonald and north of Hillington East. It is owned by Russell Logistics. The depot was noted for its four 08 shunters in Russell livery (initially light blue, later lilac).
...

More details
Deanside Transit viewed from the north/west in 1988 with a 37 and two 08s shunting. [Access, and jacket, arranged by kind permission of Deanside ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
One of Deanside Transit's Class 08s beside the transit sheds in 1987. ...
Ewan Crawford 20/05/1987




Shieldhall Branch

A re-invigorating of this existing branch with a new goods yard and connection to the Linthouse Shipyard and, at the north end, a connection west to the King George V Dock lines.

Under all the undergrowth the Shieldhall Goods Branch was still in place in 1987. This branch served several goods yards and the Alexander Stephens ...
Ewan Crawford 19/05/1987

This was the shipyard of Alexander Stephens and Sons. It was west of the Fairfield Shipyard. ...

More details