Renfrew Porterfield

Location type


Name and dates

Renfrew Porterfield (1903-1926)

Opened on the Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway.


This was a two platform terminus directly across Porterfield Road from Renfrew South, on the north side of the road. The terminus was built within the considerable Babcock and Wilcox Works to the south of Renfrew on the east bank of the White Cart Water.

The station was to the west of the original Paisley and Renfrew Railway, with which there originally no connection.

The station had an island platform with trains departing to the north. Down either side of this platform was a looped line and there was a building with canopies on the platform.

The station had a sizeable goods yard to the west, approached from the north. This had headshunts to the north. Sidings on the west side ran to works buildings.

There was a signal box at the north end of the island platform. This was the second box to be called 'Porterfield'. It opened with the station in 1903.

The line to the north flew over the top of the Paisley and Renfrew Railway near Renfrew Fulbar Street before running south west to Cardonald Junction via Kings Inch and Deanside.

A connection was put in north of the Porterfield Road Level Crossing during the Great War.

The station closed in 1926 but remained open as works sidings.

The signal box was manned as required from 1926 and closed in 1932.

The line to Glasgow ceased to be a through route in 1962 when closed between Kings Inch and Deanside. The remainder to Kings Inch closed in 1964.

The site of the station is now a housing estate with the route of the railway to the north totally obliterated. To the south, over Porterfield Road, the route of the old Paisley and Renfrew Railway is now the access road for the works.


The works remains open as Westway Business Park in which Doosan Babcock is based.


Station terminus

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Chronology Dates

29/01/1897Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway
Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway authorised. The line is to run from by Cardonald Junction to Renfrew Porterfield. Branches to Lobnitz Shipyard (London Works), Simon's Shipyard (Engineering and Shipbuilding Works), Renfrew Dock (Renfrew Harbour), Shieldhall (rebuilding and reopening).
01/06/1903Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway
Opened to passengers. Stations at; Deanside, Renfrew Kings Inch, Renfrew Porterfield.
19/07/1926Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway
Renfrew Porterfield to Cardonald Junction closed to passengers