This is a two platform station. There is a considerable gap between the platforms as the line had been quadrupled, due to increasing traffic, when the station re-opened in 1879. The line was reduced to two lines but a third line has been laid to increase capacity between Glasgow and Paisley.
The platform lines were the slow lines and the centre roads were the fast lines used by non stop services.
Due to the quadrupling of the track, the booking office was mounted on the road overbridge to the west of the station.
There was a sizeable goods yard to the north of the station, approached from the east by reversal. This has been obliterated by subsequent road development.
The signal box (reopened in 1894) was east of the station and on the south side of the line. This also controlled access to the Drumoyne Branch which ran north, from a trailing connection, to a coal yard. The stub of the branch was later used for access to the Clyde Engine Works and Greenhaugh Saw Mills.
The box closed in 1959 and was replaced by a ground frame, released from Cardonal Junction.
Cardonald Junction is to the west of the station.
King George V Dock Platform
Ibrox [Govan Platforms]
Ibrox Excursion Platforms
Bellahouston Park Halt
| Clydesdale Engineering Works|
Clyde Engine Works
Howden Craigton Works
Ralston Brick Works
Shieldhall Scrap Yard
Shieldhall Co-operative Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/07/1843||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Moss Road station opened. (At Cardonald).
|/ /1845||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Moss Road and Bellahouston [1st] stations closed.
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways