Glenesk Viaduct (1831-1972)
Glenesk Viaduct (2015-)
Opened on the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.
This viaduct is also known as the North Esk Viaduct. It is a single arch crossing the River North Esk at a high of 60 ft. The bridge dates from 1831 and currently carries a railway, formerly the Waverley Route which closed in 1969 as a through route and re-opened as the Borders Railway in 2015.
It is not far south of Sheriffhall [2nd] and immediately north of Glenesk Junction.
During the period of line closure the trackbed was converted into a footpath.
Eskbank and Dalkeith
Other railway and industry locations
King^s Gate Junction
Telegraph Pole Works
Sheriffhall City Bypass Overbridge
Eskbank Carpet Factory
Esk Valley Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route