Haymarket Central Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Haymarket Central Junction (1884-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Opened on the Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway.


Description

This junction is west of Haymarket station and Haymarket East Junction. The junction opened with the Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway junction in 1884.

The signal box was replaced in 1894 during line alterations. The route from Saughton Junction to Edinburgh Waverley (and on to Portobello East Junction) was progressively quadrupled after the Forth Bridge opened.

The junction was slightly remodelled several times. In addition to the junction the box also controlled access to Haymarket Shed [2nd], Haymarket Coal Yard and Haymarket Goods.

In 1975 control was taken over by Haymarket Power Box.

06/10/2019

Tags

Junction