Niddrie North Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Niddrie North Junction (1884-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).

Opened on the Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway.


This was the junction between the North British Railway's line from Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction and an isolated curve of the Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway from Niddrie West Junction which enabled trains from the southside line to approach Edinburgh Waverley from the east, thus completing a circle line and provide a route for goods and freight from west of the city to approach Leith Docks without requiring a reversal.

Around 1900 an additional line was laid on the west side, perhaps to ease congestion on the approach to Portobello East Junction. A new box opened in 1908, this was in the 'V' of the junction, the original box had been on the east side.

In 1915 the Lothian Lines (North British Railway) opened with Brunstane Park Junction being laid out above the existing formation. These new lines allowed trains to access South Leith without blocking the lines at Portobello.

The signal box here closed in 1926/7, with the Brunstane Park Junction signal box above taking over.

A curiosity was that after closure of the Lothian Lines in 1967 the box above remained in operation alongside disused lines.

The box closed in 1973 and the junction was taken out.

The route from Niddrie West Junction is now single track. The line to Niddrie South Junction has also been singled, after remaining double until the 1980s. Although the lines meet here they do not actually join until Portobello East Junction.

Brunstane station was opened on the east side of the single track Portobello East Junction to Niddrie South Junction line, just to the north of where the Lothian Lines formerly, the partial bridge remains of which can be seen.



External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67