Saughton Junction

Location type

Junction


Names and dates

Corstorphine Junction (1890-1902)
Saughton Junction (1902-)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Opened on the Forth Bridge Connecting Lines (North British Railway).


Description

This junction is west of Edinburgh. This is where the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway of 1842 is met by the Forth Bridge Connecting Lines (North British Railway) of 1890. The location is just east of the former Saughton station. Both lines are double track and from the east of the junction to Edinburgh the line is quadrupled.

When first opened the line east was double track. It was rebuilt and an additional two tracks opened in 1895 for which the signal box here was replaced in 1894. The box was on the north side of the junction.

The location was renamed from Corstorphine to Saughton in 1902 (the opening of the Corstorphine [2nd] branch.

The box closed in 1975, taken over by the new panel box at Haymarket.

03/05/2019

Tags

Junction quadruple track