Saughton

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Corstorphine [1st] (1842-1902)
Saughton (1902-1921)

Opened on the Forth Bridge Connecting Lines (North British Railway).

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was a four platform station on raised embankments to the east side of Saughton Road in western Edinburgh.

There were two platforms on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway and two platforms on the Forth Bridge railway route. The platforms were accessed by subways off Saughton Road. There were station buildings on the platform to either side and central shared platform.

It was the station for Corstorphine, although a bit distant, until the opening of the branch to the town. The town is to the north. The station opened before the Forth Bridge, the two platforms on that line being added when the approach line opened.

There were goods yard to the north and south of the railways at the station. The north yard was greatly enlarged with further sidings laid out to the north. The goods sidings remained open after closure to passengers.

East from the former station the railway is quadruple track to Haymarket and Edinburgh Waverley.

Little remains of the passenger station, except bricked up subway entrances at Saughton Road. Saughton [Tram] tram stop is just to the south.

03/05/2019

Tags

Station junction sidings

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map