Saughton East Signal Box

Location type

Junction


Names and dates

Saughton Signal Box (1894-1902)
Saughton East Signal Box (1902-1908)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.


Description

This signal box was around a quarter of a mile to the east of the original connection between the 1890 Forth Bridge Connecting Lines (North British Railway) and the 1842 Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway at Corstorphine Junction. The signal box was on the south side of the line. The box opened in 1894, a year in advance of the quadrupling of the line between Corstorphine Junction and Haymarket.

With the opening of the Corstorphine Branch (North British Railway) in 1902 the existing Corstorphine [1st] station was renamed Saughton.

In addition Corstorphine Junction became Saughton junction, Corstorphine West Signal Box became Saughton West Signal Box and Corstorphine North Signal Box became Saughton North Signal Box.

The name 'Saughton' for this signal box was no longer appropriate and it became 'Saughton East' in 1902.

The box closed in 1908 during a resignalling of the area around Saughton Junction.

03/06/2019