Duddingston and Craigmillar (1900-1950)
Opened on the Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway.
This was a two platform station on a curve. It was immediately to the west of Duddingston Junction. The main station building was on the eastbound platform with a smaller on the westbound. A goods yard was to the north, served from the old Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway line, rather than the new Edinburgh, Suburban and Southside Junction Railway on which the station was located.
Initially the area was countryside.
There were, to put it mildly, many breweries in the area.
To the south was Craigmillar Brewery and to the south east Dryburgh's Brewery. Both were rail served. The first from the east and second from the west.
Duddingston signal box (opened with the line) was located at the east end of the station, by Duddingston Junction and to the north was Cairntows Level Crossing, and its signal box, named for a farm to the south.
Further breweries were to open. Pentland Brewery (served from Cairntows Level Crossing), North British Brewery (served by reversal from the westbound main line west of the station), Castle Brewery to the south (served from Duddingston Junction) and Craigmillar New Brewery to the south (served from the same junction).
The line east to Niddrie West Junction was quadrupled in 1900.
By the 1930s housing developments reached the area.
The station closed in 1962. The St Leonards route closed in 1968 and the box was dispensed with in 1969.
The eastbound platform remains and westbound has gone. No buildings survive. The goods yard side is now a travelling community.
Niddrie [1st] (Unlikely 1)
Niddrie [1st] (Unlikely 2)
Other railway and industry locations
North British Brewery
Craigmillar New Brewery
Cameron Toll Signal Box
St Leonards Tunnel
Niddrie Pit No 15
Cairntows Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|