Cairntows Level Crossing (1831-1968)
Opened on the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.
This level crossing was named for a farm formerly to the south of the level crossing.
This was a double track level crossing, the line becoming single immediately to the west.
Cairntows Signal Box (a small timber and brick box) was to the east, and protected the crossing. It also protected access to the Pentland Brewery to the west. A large lattice footbridge crossed the lines, on the east side of the crossing.
The line closed between St Leonards and Duddingston Junction in 1968 and the box closed.
Although the crossing is now gone the gate keeper's cottage remains on the north side of the line, west side of Duddingston Road.
Niddrie [1st] (Unlikely 1)
Niddrie [1st] (Unlikely 2)
Other railway and industry locations
North British Brewery
Craigmillar New Brewery
Cameron Toll Signal Box
St Leonards Tunnel
Niddrie Pit No 15
Little France Coal Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route