Gretna [CR]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Gretna [CR] (1847-1951)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.

Opened on the Gretna Branch (North British Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was a two platform station immediately south of the England/Scotland Border at Sark Viaduct. The main station building was on the northbound platform and there was a goods yard on the east side, approached by reversal.

The station was sandwiched between two junctions.

Just to the north of Sark Viaduct is Gretna Junction where the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway (later the Glasgow and south Western Railway) met the Caledonian Railway. This line remains open today as the route to Glasgow via Dumfries.

To the east of the terminus station was the Border Union Railway (North British Railway). A connection between the two lines was south of the Caledonian Railway station at Gretna Junction [NBR]. This was configured to allow goods to transfer between the Glasgow and South Western Railway and the North British Railway. Gretna was a branch of the Waverley Route. The junction between the CR and NBR was called Border Union Junction.

The station building remains standing, in use as a house.

The station was not close to Gretna, being around a mile east of the town. Gretna Green, the Glasgow and South Western Railway station, was closer at around half a mile to the north.

06/08/2018

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map