Noblehill Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Noblehill Junction (1876-1993)

Opened on the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway.


This junction was in the east of Dumfries. It controlled the east end of the shed sidings, the main line and the slow lines (also serving Dumfries Goods).

The original box opened in 1876 and was located on the north side of the line. When the boxes were numbered in Dumfries it became Dumfries No 4.

The box was replaced in 1955 with a new box slightly to the west.

The new box closed around 1993 when the goods yard was closed and the east end of the slow lines were taken out of use.



Chronology Dates

  /  /1997Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway
Dumfries South (Noblehill Junction) signal box closed.


An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways

Carlisle To Beattock: including the Dumfries Branch (Scottish Main Lines)

The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History