Opened on the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway.
This was a two platform station. The main building was on the northbound platform and there was a goods yard on the west side, approached from the south. This yard was expanded. There was a water tank to the east of the station.
A saw mill to the south of the goods yard was served by reversal from the yard.
The signal box was to the south of the station, on the east side opposite the goods yard entry. This was replaced in 1914.
The station closed in 1952. The signal box closed in 1982.
The main building still stands, in use as a house. The goods yard is now occupied by housing.
Between the former Auldgirth station and the former Holywood [2nd] station (to the south) and on the west bank of the River Nith is Ellisland Farm , the farm built by Robert Burns where he farmed and was inspired by the setting. The farm is now a museum. The nearest station is at Dumfries, around six miles to the south.
Nearby Ellisland is Portrack House, famous for its annual open day when the Gardens of Cosmic Speculation are open. Within its grounds is the south end of Portrack Viaduct, over the River Nith, and a portion of an earlier version of the viaduct complete with shunter on a short section of track.
Other railway and industry locations
Ballochan Linn Viaduct
Lower Portrack Viaduct
Closeburn Quarry Signal Box
Cample Water Viaduct
Cairn Valley Junction
Guillyhill Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|