Holywood [2nd] (1920-1949)
Opened on the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This two platform station replaced Holywood [1st] station directly to the north over the level crossing. The relocation was some time around 1920. The main station building was on the northbound platform.
The southbound platform remains intact but the northbound, and the station building, are both gone.
The signal box remains open on the north side of the crossing.
Between the former Holywood station and the former Auldgirth station (to the north) and on the west bank of the River Nith is Ellisland Farm , the farm built by Robert Burns where he farmed and was inspired by the setting. The farm is now a museum. The nearest station is at Dumfries, around six miles to the south.
Nearby Ellisland is Portrack House, famous for its annual open day when the Gardens of Cosmic Speculation are open. Within its grounds is the south end of Portrack Viaduct, over the River Nith, and a portion of an earlier version of the viaduct complete with shunter on a short section of track.
Other railway and industry locations
Lower Portrack Viaduct
Cairn Valley Junction
Maxwelltown Creamery Siding
Maxwelltown Goods Junction
Dumfries Goods Junction
Dumfries St Mary^s Shed [CR]
Guillyhill Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|