This was a two platform station built principally to serve the Lugar Iron Works, Lugar village, and other nearby works. There was a small private goods yard on the south side, served from the west. The main building was on the westbound platform (iron works and village side of the station).
The station's signal box was at the west end, north side of the line.
A privately owned mineral line passed under the east end of the station, serving Lugar Brick Works and mines such as the Common Pit No 11 to the north and ran south of the Lugar Iron Works. Just to the east of the station at Lugar Junction a curve ran south west from the main line which served the works, parallel to the private line. The curve was reached via a reversing spur on the south side of the line, east of the station. Just to the west was Common Branch Junction for a line serving various Common mines in Airds Moss.
The iron works was later to become the NCB's workshops.
The line was originally single track, doubling through the station.
The station closed to passengers in 1950. The signal box closed in 1957 when the line was singled, although a loop was retained here by the junction for the workshops.
The line closed in 1976, formally in 1978.
The low mounds of the platforms can still be found and the bridge for the mineral line passing under the railway remains at the east end.
Mossgiel Tunnel Platform
| Lugar Brickworks|
Lugar Ironworks Junction
Braehead Pit No 6
Cronberry Nos 1,2,3 Sidings
Cronberry No 1,2,3 Pits Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|