Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway.
A two platform station with a two storey building on the northbound platform.
There was a generous goods yard to the south, accessed from the west.
The signal box was at the west end of the station, south side of the line alongside the turnout for the goods yard.
The station closed to passengers in 1965 and the box in 1967.
To the west is the Bank Viaduct and to the east Cumnock Junction.
Nearby small mines to the west were served by tramways running from the goods yard., and a later mine in the east of the town served by a short line to the south and closed by 1895.
The site is now a nursing home.
Mossgiel Tunnel Platform
Dykes Pit No 2
Blackstone Branch Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/10/1850||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway completed by opening between Old Cumnock and Closeburn. Stations at New Cumnock, Kirkconnel, Sanquhar and Thornhill. Sidings opened at Mennock Summit for the Leadhills and Wanlockhead mines. The nearest passenger station on the line was at Sanquhar, slightly further west.
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History