Stroan Viaduct

Location type


Name and dates

Stroan Viaduct (1861-1965)

Opened on the Portpatrick Railway.


This is a disused single track four arch masonry viaduct. Each arch is 50ft long. The overall length is 219 ft and height 37 ft.

The viaduct crosses Loch Stroan at the point where the Black Water of Stroan empties it to the south east.

The viaduct is around a mile west of the former New Galloway station.

The engineer was Blyth and Blyth.



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67


Listing: B


Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn