Bridge Street (1840-1905)
Opened on the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway.
This was a large terminus in Glasgow on the South bank of the River Clyde. No part of the original station remains but portions of its later extension remain on Bridge Street. It was replaced by Glasgow Central, just to the north over the River Clyde.
It began as the first conventional passenger station in Glasgow.
Initially the terminus of the lines from Paisley, Kilmarnock, Ayr and Greenock it grew as branches were added to those lines and further lines were promoted to it to become a large station.
The terminus was opened by the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway, jointly owned by that company and the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway and the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway.
There was a short lived timber station. This was replaced with a permanent station in 1841. To bring the station closer to the river required purchase and demolition of buildings and a number of bridges. The station was above street level. On the west side the station had two arrival platforms and one departure platform on the east side. There was a trainshed over the terminus.
To the east again was the Station House - with ticket offices (one for the Greenock company and one for the Ayr company). The frontage onto Bridge Street had a noted portico with a pediment above four columns was by James Collie.
A goods station, with stall sidings approached by turnplates was added on the west side in 1847 by the Ayr company.
In 1850 the Ayr company became a founder of the Glasgow and South Western Railway and1851 the Greenock line was absorbed by the Caledonian Railway.
By the 1850s the station had a two bay platforms to the west for arrivals and two bays to the east, with a loco line between. The goods depot was not longer track served becoming a storehouse.
By the 1860s the site was considered too small. The G&SW decided to build a new station at St Enoch and one of the promoters of the City of Glasgow Union Railway which opened to a temporary terminus in 1870.
A further two bay platforms were provided on the west side in the 1870s, probably using the former land of the goods depot All platforms were extended one street block south.
In 1879 the lines from Muirhouse South Junction (Strathbungo) and Central Station Junction (Gushetfaulds) reached the station - serving only the two existing bay platforms at the east side. These were used for a short period until the bridge over the Clyde opened, then becoming through lines to the new Glasgow Central on the north bank. The four platforms on the west side remained bay platforms and were only served by the Paisley route. The trainshed was removed and a new all-over glass roof similar to that later build at Glasgow Central provided over the bays, the through platforms being canopied.
The G&SW finally ceased to be a joint owner in 1892. An additional two through platforms were added to the east side. James Miller designed additional buildings, reminiscent of the style of Glasgow Central, alongside the station on Bridge Street, which survive today.
In 1904 Glasgow Central was enlarged and Bridge Street closed in 1905, the platforms and overall roof being removed. The second bridge over the Clyde approaching Central passes through the site of the bay platforms on the west side. The Station House was demolished in 1971.
Bridge Street station was built on the site of the Windmill for which Windmillcroft Quay was named.
Bridge Street [Subway]
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
St Enoch [Subway]
Glasgow St Enoch
Glasgow Central Low Level
West Street [Subway]
Main Street Gorbals
South Side [GB and NDR]
Other railway and industry locations
Clyde Place Signal Box
Clyde Place Quay
Clyde Viaduct [Glasgow Central]
Clyde Viaduct [Glasgow Central] [1st]
Bridge Street Junction
Bridge Street Junction [South]
Cook Street Shed
Glasgow Central Power Box
Cook Street Goods
Salkeld Street Parcels Depot
St Enoch Shopping Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1841||Glasgow Central Station|
Bridge Street station (a terminus with a large glass roof on the south side of the Clyde) opened. It served the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway and later the Glasgow Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway and the Clydesdale Junction Railway.