St Enoch [Subway]

Location type


Name and dates

St Enoch [Subway] (1896-)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Glasgow District Subway.


This is a station on the former Glasgow District Subway, now the Glasgow Subway operated by Strathclyde Passenger Transport.

The station is notable for the former company office building above it, a two storey Germanic/Jacobean style building designed by James Miller. After closure as railway offices the building has seen various uses including, appropriates as a travel centre. It is currently (2017) in use as a cafe. Access to the station is no longer by the building but by north and south entrance on either side. In the style of the building there is some suggestion of the former station frontage and hotel of Glasgow St Enoch which was just to the east.

The station was originally an island platform but after the closure in 1977 for rebuilding it re-opened in 1980 as a two platform station to accommodate larger passenger numbers.


Station subway underground

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

News items

04/05/2022Glasgow history hotspot: The story of the St Enoch Travel Centre [Glasgow Times]


Circles Under the Clyde - A History of the Glasgow Underground
Glasgow Underground
Glasgow Underground: The Glasgow District Subway