This station was opened for Glasgow Prestwick Airport which is to the immediate east and connected to the station by a long elevated covered walkway.
The station is unusual as it is owned by the airport, not a railway company.
To the west of the station is Prestwick Golf Club but there is no direct access.
Although the airport was established in the 1930s and became a modern airport in the 1960s the station was not opened until 1994. It was built on the site of the former Monkton Junction which remained in use until 1973, the last use being to serve the Auchencruive 4,5,6,7 (Glenburn) colliery.
To the north was Monkton station, closed in 1940. The site being close to the Monkton Sidings used to deliver oil to the airport.
Note: date of change of name uncertain, 2005 is assumed as the time of major renovation at the airport.
Ayr Shed [1st]
Auchincruive Colliery Platform
| Monkton Junction|
Monkton Oil Sidings
Prestwick Oil Siding [1st]
Auchincruive 4,5,6,7 [Glenburn]
Ayr Tram Depot [Trams]
Scottish Agricultural Industries Works
Ayr Harbour Junction
Newton Junction [Ayr]
Newton Carpet Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|