Johnstone

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Johnstone (1840-1851)
Johnstone High (1851-1962)
Johnstone (1962-)

Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.

Open on the Glasgow to Ayr and Stranraer.


Description

This is a two platform station. The main station building is on the Glasgow bound platform. It formerly had large platform canopies.

There was a large goods yard on the north side of the line, approached from the west. The yard had a large goods shed. This yard expanded and further sidings, and a turntable, were added on the south side of the line.

To the north west was the canal basin of the Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal. The goods sidings reached as far as the former basin.

The signal box was at the west end of the station, south side of the line opposite the goods yard turn out. Originally named Johnstone West the box was numbered Johnstone No 2 and replaced, possibly around 1910. With the closure of No 1 box it became Johnstone box. It burned down in 1985, just before replacement by the Paisley Signalling Centre.

Much of the former large goods yard is now the station car park.

Just to the east of the station was the double track junction (Johnstone Junction) between the line to Glasgow (the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway) and a curve put in by the Greenock and Ayrshire Railway to allow trains from Ayrshire to approach Greenock Princes Pier [1st]. The Greenock line is now closed.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map