Johnstone Junction (1869-1964)
Opened on the Greenock and Ayrshire Railway.
Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.
This was a double track junction east of Johnstone station which was opened with the Greenock and Ayrshire Railway allowing a train from Ayrshire to take the line to Greenock Princes Pier. The north end of the curve was at Cart Junction.
The junction was separated from the station by Thorn Brae.
The signal box, Johnstone East, was south of the junction.
There was a short siding off the northbound line of the curve, with its buffer east of Thorn Brae.
The box was renamed Johnstone No 1 and was replaced in 1910, the new box being a little east of the original and a siding off the southbound line of the curve being removed.
The curve closed in 1964 and box in 1965.
The main line remains open and is electrified. After closure the embankment of the curve became an area of rough ground, much used for dumping. It has since been largely built over with housing.
Johnstone North [2nd]
Johnstone North [1st]
Milliken Park [1st]
Paisley St James
Other railway and industry locations
Union Iron Works
Elderslie Fly Under
Barbush Pit No 4
Johnstone North Signal Box
Elderslie No 2 Junction
Linwood Brick Works
Fulton Pit (Ironstone)
Linwood Goods [GSW]
Linwood Car Plant
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Legends of the Glasgow and South Western Railway in the L.M.S.Days
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History