This junction with a flyover opened in 1905, the south western end of the Kilbarchan Loop (Glasgow and South Western Railway), an important junction on the Glasgow and South Western Railway^s quadrupling from Glasgow St Enoch to Dalry Junction.
The original double track route, the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway opened between Paisley and Irvine in 1840 (the portion south to Ayr [1st] opening in 1839).
Prior to 1905, there was a siding here serving a coke kiln and Brownhill Pit No 2 (Ironstone).
With the opening of the new Kilbarchan loop the line south had a northbound slow, fast, southbound fast, slow. The northbound of the Kilbarchan loop connected to the northbound slow before striking off to the north to Kilbirnie. The southbound line of the loop flew parted from the northbound line just north of River Garnock before flying over the older main line and joining the southbound slow line about half a mile to the south.
The box was on the west side of the junction. It was a brick built GSW Type 6 box.
The Kilbarchan loop closed to passengers in 1966. The line north from Kilbirnie closed in 1971/72, the southern part retained to approach the Glengarnock Steel Works.
The line from Kilbirnie closed in 1977. The line south was reduced to a double track, except for a short portion at Swinlees Junction.
The signal box closed in 1985, replaced by the Paisley Signalling Centre.
The formation of the flyover junction still exists. The double track main line remains open, now electrified.
Dalry Junction [Station]
| Brownhill Pit No1 (Coal)|
Brownhill Pit No 2 (Ironstone)
Pitcon Pit No 4 (Ironstone)
Borestone Ironstone Pit
Borestone Loading Bank
Merry and Co Siding
Davidshill No 1 Pit
Pitcon Pit No 12 (Ironstone)
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|27/06/1966||Kilbarchan Loop (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Elderslie (Cart Junction) to Dalry (Brownhill Junction) closed to passengers.
|/ /1977||Kilbarchan Loop (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Kilbirnie (excluded) to Brownhill Junction closed to freight. Kilbirnie remained served by the network around the Glengarnock Steel Works for a short while.