Johnstone North [2nd]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Johnstone North [2nd] (1905-1955)

Opened on the Kilbarchan Loop (Glasgow and South Western Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was an island platform station. There were no goods facilities, instead the former terminus Johnstone North [1st], which was just to the north, was used for goods.

The platform was reached by subway steps as the line was above road level. At the east end of the station a spur ran to the Johnstone North [1st] branch which provided another approach to Cart Junction. The older branch passed under line to the east of the station. Both old and new lines crossed the Black Cart on separate viaducts on the approach to Cart Junction.

The station's signal box was at the west end of the island platform, closed in 1927. The goods loop to Cart Junction from the station was severed.

After closure the line remained open until 1972. The trackbed remained unused until converted into a walk and cycle way in 1989. Much of the station site was destroyed and the embankment lowered when a supermarket was built on the neighbouring site to the south.


Tags

Station footpath

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map