Kilbarchan

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Kilbarchan (1905-1966)

Opened on the Kilbarchan Loop (Glasgow and South Western Railway).


Description

This was an island platform station on a double track line. The station crossed Low Barholm to the south of the village. The village has since expanded around the former station.

The line crossed Low Barholm (at the north east end) and Station Road (at the south west end) by double bridges. There was a canopied station building, typical of the line, and covered subway access ramps.

The goods yard was on the north side of the line, approached from the west, and with a headshunt. The signal box was at the west end of the island platform, on the west side of Station Road.

The signal box closed in 1964 and the goods yard closed. The station closed to passengers in 1966. Canopies were removed from the station building. The line remained open until 1972.

The island platform remains with glazed white brick subway access ramps at either end. The station building does not survive.

The former trackbed is now a foot and cycle path, converted in 1988/89.


Tags

Station footpath

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67