Lochwinnoch [2nd] (1905-1966)
Opened on the Kilbarchan Loop (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was an island platform station in Lochwinnoch, between the town and Castle Semple Loch.
There was a goods yard to the south, accessed from the east or by a reversing spur from the west.
The station duplicated the existing Lochwinnoch [1st] station on the parallel Glasgow-Ayr line to the south, which was renamed Lochside to avoid confusion.
The station to the south closed in 1955 and the Kilbarchan line closed to passengers in 1966 and completely in 1971. Lochwinnoch was without a station until 1985 when the southern station re-opened.
The Kilbarchan line was converted into a cyclepath by Sustrans around 1986/7. Unfortunately most of the station and goods yard site was cleared for housing, but the eastern approach remains crossing St Winnoc's Road with three bridges (eastbound, westbound and goods yard line). A bricked up subway to the island platform can be seen to the west. The trackbed continues to the west, near the A760.
There is no Loch Winnoch, but just to the north of the former station is the site of St Winnoc's Church.
Milliken Park [1st]
Bridge of Weir [2nd]
Other railway and industry locations
Kilbirnie Shed [CR]
Beith Town Loco Shed
Glengarnock Steelworks Melting Shop
Glengarnock No 1 Signal Box
Castle Semple Loch
Castle Semple Collegiate Church
Castle Semple Temple
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|