Cathcart station has an island platform, original station building with glazed canopies, and is above road level. It is an intermediate station on the Cathcart Circle. The north east end of the station is on the girder bridge above the White Cart Water. A former entry arch from Old Castle Road is blocked.
The station replaces a temporary terminus Cathcart [1st] which was to the east.
The station was on the Cathcart District Railway.
The former Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway approaches the station from Neilston and Newton, all four lines meet at Cathcart West Junction. A train from Neilston may call at the station, but due to the layout one from Newton may not, although it may join the Cathcart Circle. The junction layout was altered in 1961, see Cathcart West Junction for more details. The west end of the station was cut back to accommodate this and the north end of the platform extended. This was in preparation for electrification which was completed in 1962.
The White Cart Water Viaduct crosses the White Cart Water just to the south on a bridge parallel to the station bridge.
On the Cathcart Circle the next station to the west is Langside and to the north is Mount Florida. On the Neilston line the next station is Muirend to the west and on the Newton line the next station is Kings Park.
| White Cart Water Viaduct|
Cathcart West Junction
Cathcart Power Box
Cathcart North Junction
Cathcart East Junction
Aikenhead Colliery Nos 1 and 2
Pollokshaws East Goods
Mallsmire Firebrick Works
Govan Colliery Pit No 6
Hampden Park Stadium
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/05/1903||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Giffen Junction to Cathcart opened for passengers.
|06/01/1904||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Newton to Cathcart and Clarkston West Junction opened for goods.
|01/08/1904||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Newton to Cathcart and Westburn Junction to Kirkhill Junction opened for passengers.