This is an island platform station. The line is raised and the entry is by subway, with a rather fine archway entrance to the subway at street level. This was covered over with an oversize Burnside sign for many years, but has now been uncovered again. The original station building has not survived. At the east end of the station two bridges cross Burnside Road, the southern of which carried two tracks.
The signal box was on the south side of the station, west side of Burnside Road. It opened with the station and closed in 1961, replaced with Cathcart Power Box.
There were two tracks on the south side of the station, the southern of which was for the goods station which was to the east of the station on the south side.
London Road [Glasgow]
| Burnside Saw Mills|
Coats Park Colliery
Rutherglen East Junction
Rutherglen Permanent Way Depot
Rutherglen Central Junction
Rutherglen Carriage Sidings
Farme Colliery Junction
Rutherglen West Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/08/1904||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Kirkhill and Burnside stations opened.
Forgotten Railways: Scotland