Kirkhill Junction (1904-1966)
Opened on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway.
Opened on the Glasgow Central Railway.
This junction was east of Kirkhill station and Kirkhill Tunnel. Here the line from Ardrossan North (and today from Neilston) divided into routes to Newton and Carmyle. The junction was in a cutting directly east of the tunnel.
The Newton portion allowed iron ore imported through Ardrossan to reach the Lanarkshire iron works such as Dalzell (via Motherwell) and Gartsherrie Iron Works (via Bellshill and Whifflet Lower]).
The Carmyle portion allowed approach to the Clyde Iron Works and Govan Iron Works from the east, this direction suiting their respective reception sidings. This fork met the existing Glasgow Central Railway's portion from Carmyle to Newton at Westburn Junction.
Kirkhill Junction's signal box was on the south side of the junction. Both routes had trailing crossovers to the east of the junction.
The box closed in 1961 when taken over by Cathcart Power Box.
The junction closed in 1966 when the line from Kirkhill Junction to Westburn Junction closed. The Newton route remains in use tofay as an electrified double track railway.
Calderwood Glen Platform
Mount Vernon North
Other railway and industry locations
Newton PW Depot
Busheyhill Signal Box
Newton West Junction
Clyde Nail Works
Newton Kirkhill Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|20/06/1904||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Westburn Junction to Kirkhill Junction opened to goods. This was probably largely opened for Govan Iron Works (Dixon's Blazes) and the Clyde Iron Works.
|01/08/1904||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Newton to Cathcart and Westburn Junction to Kirkhill Junction opened for passengers.
|01/08/1966||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Kirkhill (Kirkhill Junction) to Carmyle (Westburn Junction) closed to freight.