This is an island platform station. The original station building, which was the same design as that at Maxwell Park, has very unfortunately not survived having been demolished in the late 1980s.
The station^s signal box was on the south side of the line, west of the station footbridge. It opened with the station and closed in 1927.
The station is to the immediate south of the Muirhouse Central Junction where the extension of the Cathcart District Railway met the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway before crossing by a new link to the Gordon Street Lines at Muirhouse North Junction on the approach to Glasgow Central. The junctions here have been rationalised in more recent years.
Muirhouse South Junction, with which the Cathcart line does not connect, is just to the east.
The next station to the north is Glasgow Central itself and to the west Maxwell Park.
Shields Road [CGU]
Shields Road [GPJ]
Shields Road [Subway]
| Muirhouse South Junction|
Muirhouse South Junction [1st]
Muirhouse Central Junction
Muirhouse Power Box
Muirhouse North Junction
Glasgow Museum of Transport [1st]
Pollokshields East Junction
Muirhouse Engineering Works
Maxwell Park Goods
Tradeston Gas Works
Shields Signal Box
Kinning Park Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|02/04/1894||Cathcart District Railway|
Extension line opened from Cathcart (New) to Muirhouse Junction for passengers and goods. Stations opened at Langside, Pollokshaws East, Shawlands, Maxwell Park and Pollokshields West.