This junction remains open. This is the junction between the main line south from Glasgow Central to Barrhead and the freight only curve to Larkfield Junction. It was once a goods junction and later the junction between the routes to Glasgow St Enoch and Glasgow Central.
This was the junction between the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway (1848) and the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway (1849). It allowed trains from the Barrhead (and later Kilmarnock) direction to approach the Clyde quayside at General Terminus.
Many further lines opened, one (just north of the junction) being the new approach to Glasgow Central from Muirhouse South Junction [1st] in 1879 which had a short portion of the former goods only General Terminus line come into use for passengers. With the completion of the Cathcart District Railway a further junction, Muirhouse Central Junction, opened to the north which involved a further connection to the Glasgow Central lines for trains from Cathcart.
A signal box opened in 1879, with the opening of the approach to Glasgow Central. The box was later replaced. It was located in the 'V' of the junction, aligned with the Glasgow St Enoch route and was a joint Caledonian/Glasgow South Western box.
The box closed in 1973 with the signalling taken over by Glasgow Central Power Box.
With the closure of General Terminus the junction remains in use for non passenger trains from which is now called Muirhouse South Junction to Terminus Junction and passenger trains from Muirhouse South Junction to Muirhouse Central Junction.
Shields Road [CGU]
Shields Road [GPJ]
Shields Road [Subway]
| Muirhouse South Junction [1st]|
Muirhouse Central Junction
Muirhouse Power Box
Muirhouse North Junction
Coplawhill Tram Depot
Pollokshields East Junction
Muirhouse Engineering Works
Tradeston Gas Works
West Street Tunnel
West Street Junction [CR]
Govan Coal work
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1846||General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway|
Act receives Royal assent. Line from General Terminus, a depot on the south bank of the River Clyde, to West Street Junction (Govan and Polloc Railway), Strathbungo Junction (Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway) and Shields Junction No 1 (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway).
|30/03/1849||General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway|
West Street Junction (Govan and Polloc Railway) to Shields Junction No 1 (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway) and General Terminus opened. Curve to Strathbungo Junction (Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway) opened.
|/ /1864||General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway|
Doubling between Strathbungo Junction and General Terminus Junction authorised. (Described as Pollokshields to West Street Doubling (or Goods Station Branch) authorised.)
|07/01/1870||General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway|
Tolls set for the Glasgow and South Western Railway between Strathbungo Junction (Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway) and Shields Junction No 1 (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway). Either end of the line was joint Caledonian Railway and G&SWR, the intervening line was CR owned.
|01/07/1879||Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway)|
Gordon Street lines opened - Central Station Junction (just north west of Gushetfaulds Junction to Eglinton Street Junction to Bridge Street Junction opened. Strathbungo Junction to Eglinton Street Junction opened.
|20/10/1892||General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway|
Authorisation allows passenger trains to use Strathbungo Junction to General Terminus.
|18/04/1966||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Glasgow Glasgow St Enoch (Gorbals Junction) to Strathbungo Junction closed to passengers.
|23/06/1973||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Glasgow Glasgow St Enoch (Gorbals Junction) to Strathbungo Junction closed to freight.
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways