Muirhouse South Junction [1st] (1879-1961)
Opened on the Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway).
Opened on the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This junction was formed in 1879 when the Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway) (Gordon Street lines) met the 1849 General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway close to Strathbungo Junction (just to the south).
A signal box, Muirhouse Junction, opened in 1879. This was replaced by the new Muirhouse Junction opened by Muirhouse Central Junction in 1894.
The junction was taken out in 1961 when the duplicate section of line north to Muirhouse North Junction was taken out, the signal box also being replaced by Muirhouse Power Box.
Confusingly, around the same time, Strathbungo Junction was renamed Muirhouse South Junction.
Shields Road [CGU]
Shields Road [GPJ]
Shields Road [Subway]
Other railway and industry locations
Muirhouse South Junction
Muirhouse Central Junction
Muirhouse Power Box
Muirhouse North Junction
Coplawhill Tram Depot
Pollokshields East Junction
Muirhouse Engineering Works
West Street Tunnel
West Street Junction [CR]
Eglinton Street Tunnels
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|