Muirhouse Central Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Muirhouse Central Junction (1894-)

Station code: National Rail ScotRail
Opened on the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway.
Opened on the Cathcart District Railway.

Description

This is a double junction opened in 1894 to complete the Cathcart District Railway. It provides a connection across the older 1849 Glasgow Harbour and General Terminus Railway to the Glasgow Central approach lines. Rather than cross that line on the level a double junction was formed.

To the north is an 1894 connection between the Glasgow Harbour and General Terminus Railway of 1849 and the Glasgow Central Station (Caledonian Railway) lines of 1879. This link is a short separate section of the Cathcart District Railway. The northern end of the connection was at Muirhouse North Junction (no longer a junction).

To the south is the 1894 connection of the Cathcart District Railway onto the Glasgow Harbour and General Terminus Railway.

A signal box opened in 1894, replacing the previous Muirhouse Junction box. The box also controlled access to Muirhouse Engineering Works, lying in the 'V' of the northern junction.

The duplicating section of line created by these connections between Muirhouse South Junction [1st] and Muirhouse North Junction has closed. This was in 1961 when the signal box was replaced by Muirhouse Power Box.

Tags

Junction 03/08/2019