Blackbyres Junction [CR] (1905-1960)
Opened on the Paisley and Barrhead District Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a double track junction immediately to the west of Blackbyres Junction [GSW] .
The line to Walkinshaw South singled shortly after leaving the junction, those to Lyoncross Junction and Paisley were originally double track. There was a signal box in the 'V' of the junction. Just to the south of the junction the Lyoncross route crossed over the GSW's Blackbyres to Barrhead Central line.
The line west ran alongside the GSW line for half a mile or so, that line being at a lower height,
On the line north to Paisley East the southbound line was lifted first, the same as on the route south to Lyoncross and that west to Walkinshaw South.
The Paisley East line closed in 1960 and the location ceased to be a junction, closing completely in 1963.
The site is cleared now, being the carpark and landscaped ground by an industrial estate, ironically the Barrhead Cargo Centre.
Priesthill and Darnley
Paisley Canal [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Blackbyres Junction [G and SW]
Shanks Victorian Pottery Works
Shanks Tubal Works [2nd]
Barrhead South Junction
Barrhead North Junction
Barrhead Central Box
Levern Water Viaduct
Shanks Tubal Works [1st]
Thornly Park Junction
Arthurlie Cotton and Bleach Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|