This station was a terminus. It was located south of the present Barrhead station at Mill Road Square. The platform was an island with a canopy extending out from the terminus building on the square. Both platforms had run-round loops. On the north side were carriage sidings. There was a water tank at the north end of the platform.
This was terminus served by the line crossing over from Potterhill, near Paisley, and a short spur from the Barrhead South Junction on the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway. These lines met at Barrhead Central Box. The box was north of the station and on the east side of the line.
The station was short lived, from 1902 to 1916. In 1917 the Potterhill line was cut back from the box to Thornly Park Junction.
After closure it served as sidings, the lines being cut back to the north end of the platform. The box was reduced to ground frame status in 1931 and closed altogether in 1934. The station building was demolished in 1950. Sidings survived into the 1960s.
The station site, and its approach, are now housing.
Priesthill and Darnley
| Barrhead Gas Works|
Barrhead Central Box
Shanks Tubal Works [1st]
Barrhead Mineral Depot
Arthurlie Cotton and Bleach Works
Shanks Tubal Works [2nd]
Shanks Victorian Pottery Works
Barrhead South Junction
Aurs Burn Viaduct
Barrhead North Junction
Blackbyres Junction [CR]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/10/1902||Barrhead Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Barrhead Central opened.
|01/01/1917||Barrhead Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Barrhead Central closed.
|/ /1950||Barrhead Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Barrhead Central demolished.