This double track tunnel was east of Paisley Gilmour Street and the junction for Renfrew (Arkleston Junction. It was opened out when the line was quadrupled in 1870s-1880s.
The tunnel's western portal was west of Arkleston Road and its eastern a little further to its east.
Paisley Hamilton Street
Paisley Gilmour Street
Paisley Canal [1st]
Paisley St James
| Gallowhill Sidings|
Paisley East Junction
Lacy Street Depot
Ralston Signal Box
Sandyford Metal Window Works
Hillington Tube Works
Sandyford Chemical Works
Hillington Industrial Estate
Paisley Signalling Centre
Hillington Gas Works Coal Tippler
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1874||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Authorisation given to open out Arkleston Tunnel. This was to allow quadrupling of the double track line.
|/ /1883||Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway|
Completion of works to open out Arkleston Tunnel. This allowed the line to be quadrupled.