Hawkhead [1st]

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Hawkhead [1st] (1894-1966)

Opened on the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was a two platform station on the east side of Hawkhead Road. Unlike most stations on the Paisley Canal line Hawkhead and Paisley West station closed in 1966.

The main station building was on the eastbound platform and there was a covered street level entry to both platforms from Hawkhead Road.

The original goods yard was laid out on the south side approached either directly from the east or via its headshunt from the west. The signal box was at the east end of the eastbound platform.

Additional sidings were laid on the north side of the station by 1910, approached from the east by reversal and with a headshunt.

In the Second World War the Hawkhead War Department Siding was built to the east, on the north side of the line. this was reached via a reversing spur running north west from the east end of the station. The depot was removed in the late 1950s/early 1960s.

The station closed to passengers in 1966 and the signal box closed in 1967.

The sidings on the south side of the station, the original goods yard, became the Hawkhead Oil Siding which was used to deliver aviation fuel to Glasgow Airport.

With closure in 1983 of the Kilmacolm line to passengers the railway from Kilmacolm through Elderslie closed completely. Passenger trains had used the Paisley Canal line for the first part of their journey. In 1984 the Canal Line closed except for Hawkhead Oil Siding and Corkerhill Depot, both of which were approached from the east. Trains from the Hunterston Ore Terminal to the Ravenscraig Steel Works were rerouted via Paisley Gilmour Street. The line was retained as far as Paisley Canal for possible re-opening.

The oil depot was modified to be reached directly, rather than via a headshunt, and a ground frame was installed.

The line was reopened to passengers in 1990. The station was not re-opened, instead a new Hawkhead station was opened west of Hawkhead Road.

The oil depot siding has been out of use for some time (closed 1992).

On the west side of Hawkhead Road, south of the line, were Lambeth Sanitary Engineering Works (later the Gleniffer Laundry) and to its south the Hawkhead Works (latterly a pigments manufacturer).


Tags

Station

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map