Greenock (Lynedoch) (1898-1959)
Opened on the Greenock and Ayrshire Railway.
This was a two platform station above Greenock, to the north. The station had access from Drumfrochar Road to the east. The main station building was on the eastbound platform.
To the north was the large Lynedoch Goods station, accessed from Mearns Street Junction to the west, and to the south a small number of sidings, accessed from the east. These sidings later served the Tate and Lyle sugar refinery.
There was a signal box at the east end of the station, beyond Drumfrochar Road and an overhead aqueduct.
The box closed in 1938.
The station closed to passengers in 1959 and the line was singled, the eastbound line being lifted. Boat train specials and goods continued to operate.
After closure of the railway in 1966 the line was relaid in 1971 to provide access to the Greenock Containerbase Sidings. The track was slewed between the platforms which remained intact.
The line fell out of use in 1985 and was closed in 1991.
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]
Other railway and industry locations
Lynedoch Street Tunnel North
Lynedoch Street Tunnel South
Westburn Sugar Refinery
Greenock Central Signal Box
Mearns Street Junction
Upper Greenock Goods
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Legends of the Glasgow and South Western Railway in the L.M.S.Days
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History