This is a one platform station, although there are two lines.
This station opened 1883 as Ardrossan expanded, the Largs Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway) opened and the Caledonian Railway was soon to compete for traffic.
This was a two platform station, but with the singling of the Ardrossan Harbour line and the giving over of one track to the Hunterston Ore Terminal one of the platforms was removed in the 1980s.
Passenger trains, in both directions, use the former northbound track, southbound trains crossing over to the southbound track just south of the station. The former northbound track is bi-directional, the southbound track remains southbound only.
Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier
Ardrossan Winton Pier
| Holm Junction|
Ardrossan Shed [GSW] [2nd]
Ardrossan Shed [GSW] [1st]
Ardrossan North Goods
Ardrossan North Shed
Ardrossan Harbour Signal Box
Ardrossan Old Dock
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Ardrossan South Beach opened.
|/01/1987||Largs Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Line electrified. Passenger trains are confined to the northbound line (starting from just east of Ardrossan South Beach), freight to the Hunterston Ore Terminal can use both lines as far as Hunterston Junction. Beyond Hunterston Junction, going north, the southbound line is lifted.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Ardrossan (North) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.01 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Ardrossan (South) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.05 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Kilwinning 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.04 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History