Saltcoats

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Saltcoats (1882-1952)
Saltcoats Central (1952-1965)
Saltcoats (1965-)

Opened on the Ardrossan and Johnstone Railway.

Open on the Kilwinning, Ardrossan and Largs.


Description

This is a two platform station with original station buildings on both the up and down platforms. The main building, a long single storey building in red sandstone on the Glasgow bound platform, dates from 1894. It is fitted with a full length glazed canopy.

The two storey building opposite now houses a cafe. Cafe @ The Station A long single storey extension to the building's east end has been removed. The two storey portion bore a lose resemblance to the main block which formerly stood at Ardrossan Town.

Both buildings feature tall windows, rectangular with a semicircular top.

The goods yard was on the south side of the line, approached from the west. The site is now a car park.

The signal box was at the west end of the westbound platform. It was replaced in 1951 and closed in 1968.

The station remains open and the line was electrified in 1986.

The original Saltcoats [1st] station was east of the B780. The second Saltcoats [2nd] station was slightly further west. This station dates from 1882 built in response the competing Saltcoats North station opening just to the north and rebuilt again (on the same site) in 1895.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Facilities

Bike rack
Free parking
Taxi rank
Ticket machine
Staffed





Dates

  /  /1882Ardrossan Railway
Saltcoats station re-sited between Saltcoats [1st] and Saltcoats [2nd] stations.
30/06/1952Ardrossan Railway
Saltcoats re-named Saltcoats Central.
04/02/1965Ardrossan Railway
Saltcoats Central re-named Saltcoats.