Opened on the Ardrossan and Johnstone Railway.
Open on the Kilwinning, Ardrossan and Largs.
This is a two platform station. The original station buildings have not survived. The building on the up platform, dating from 1900, was of a style still represented by West Kilbride, although slightly different.
There was a goods yard on the north side of the station, approached from the east.
To the west of the station is a level crossing, on the south side of the line was Stevenston No 2 Signal Box. With the resignalling in advance of electrification it became first a gate box, in 1986, and then closed when replaced by the Paisley Signalling Centre.
Ardrossan South Beach
Other railway and industry locations
Ardeer  Junction
Royal George Pit
Water Machine Pit (Coal)
Turf Dyke Pit
Stevenston No 1 Signal Box [1st]
Prince of Wales Pit
Auchenharvie Pit No 5
Auchenharvie Pit No 2
Stevenston No 1 Signal Box [2nd]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Stevenston, Saltcoats [1st], Ardrossan Pier stations opened.
|/ /1970||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier and Ardrossan North to Stevenston lifted in the early 1970s. Access to the Ardrossan Refinery bitumen works at Ardrossan North is retained via the sidings from Ardrossan Town.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Ardrossan (North) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.01 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Ardrossan (South) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.05 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Kilwinning 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.04 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History