This is a single platform station. There are, however, two lines. The line nearest the platform is used in both directions by Glasgow Central - Largs trains. The same line was used by freight going north to the Hunterston Ore Terminal. The other line was used by southbound trains coming from Hunterston only.
A Glasgow and South Western Railway single storey station building remains on the platform. The building has a full length glazed canopy over the platform. It is an Arts and Crafts style building. With its white walls and red tiled roof there is something of Turnberry Hotel about it, albeit with some Tudor aspects to West Kilbride. The architect was probably James Miller.
This station was briefly the terminus of the Largs Branch before its extension north to Fairlie Pier in 1880. Rebuilding of the station came in 1900 when the present building was erected.
This was a two platform station with a goods yard on the west side, approached from the north. The goods yard is now housing. Little trace now remains of the former southbound platform, covered footbridge and station building which was in a recess.
The station was noted for a very tall signal box, of 1878, at the north end on the east side of the line.
The southbound platform was removed in the run up to electrification in 1986. The signal box had closed previously in 1981. The remaining station building fell into very poor condition but was restored in the early 1990s.
A small building close to the road bridge also survived, but has been demolished.
Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier
Ardrossan Winton Pier
Ardrossan South Beach
Dalry Junction [Station]
| Hunterston Junction|
Kirkland Glen Viaduct
Poteath Signal Box
Boydston Signal Box
Hunterston Loading Bunker
Hunterston Power station
Hunterston High Level Sidings
Montfode Oil Depot
Montfode Fuel Depot Sidings
Hunterston Low Level Sidings
Ardrossan North Shed
Ardrossan North Goods
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1878||Largs Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
First portion of line opened to West Kilbride.
Gourock to Largs Coast Through Time
Largs 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 03.12 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Old West Kilbride