This refinery was opened in the 1928. Raw material came by sea and products were distributed by rail. By the 1970s the works specialised in bitumen production, having previously also produced aviation fuel. The works closed in 1986.
The works were served by sidings, approached from the east of Ardrossan North. The sidings along the north side of the station became used for marshalling trains to and from the works. After closure of the line to Stevenston No 1 the sidings were retained, approach being from Ardrossan Town via Eglinton Dock, the north side of Ardrossan North and then reversal. The line by the station was retained for this purpose and a buffer stop was placed where the line had formerly passed under the Largs Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway). The track was lifted at closure, the Ayrshire re-signalling and electrification being in progress at the time.
The site has now been cleared and is (in 2017) awaiting new use.
Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier
Ardrossan Winton Pier
Ardrossan South Beach
| Ardrossan North Shed|
Ardrossan North Goods
Ardrossan Shed [GSW] [1st]
Ardrossan Shed [GSW] [2nd]
Ardrossan Harbour Signal Box
Ardrossan Western Breakwater
Montfode Fuel Depot Sidings
Ardrossan Old Dock
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|06/05/1968||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier to Stevenson No 1 Signal Box [2nd] closed to all traffic, (Ardrossan North Goods coal yard and Ardrossan Refinery's bitumen depot remained accessible through harbour sidings from Ardrossan Town).
|/ /1970||Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway|
Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier and Ardrossan North to Stevenston lifted in the early 1970s. Access to the Ardrossan Refinery bitumen works at Ardrossan North is retained via the sidings from Ardrossan Town.
Forgotten Railways: Scotland