Byrehill Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Byrehill Junction (1840-)

Station code: National Rail
Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.
Opened on the Ardrossan Railway.

Description

This is the junction between the line to Ardrossan Harbour and the Glasgow to Ayr line which allows a train from the Ayr direction to run to Ardrossan. It is largely used for goods and empty stock movements. The main line is double track and the Ardrossan approach single.

The junction was formed in 1840 between the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway and its connection to Blacklands Junction on the Ardrossan and Johnstone Railway.

Both lines were double track. The original signal box was on the east side of the junction. This was replaced with a new box in the ^V^ of the junction aligned with the main line.

The box closed in 1986, replaced by the Paisley Signalling Centre, and the curve to Dubbs Junction singled. In its last years the box appeared to be in a state of seige with its windows boarded up.

Tags

Junction



Dates

06/04/1964Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr RailwayArdrossan Railway
Irvine (Byrehill Junction) to Stevenston (Dubbs Junction) closed to passengers. Ardrossan to Kilmarnock service via Crosshill withdrawn.

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

Ardrossan (North) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.01 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)

Ardrossan (South) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.05 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)

Ayrshire and Renfrewshire's Lost Railways

Ayrshire's Last Days of Steam

London, Midland and Scottish Railway Engine Sheds: Glasgow and South Western v. 7: Their History and Development

Old Ardrossan

Passenger Steamers of the Glasgow and South Western Railway