Busbie Branch (Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway)

Introduction

This line is closed. The line ran from Irvine east to Crosshouse just outside Kilmarnock.

The line was used by passenger trains running from Ardrossan Town to Kilmarnock.



Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Irvine to Crosshouse

This is a two platform station. The station has a mixture of old and new buildings. The line is raised and station entry is one floor below the track level. There is a surviving original station building. The building on the southbound platform bears a strange resemblance to Highland Railway station buildings such as that at Ardgay. The building on the northbound platform is different in ...

More details

See also
Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway
An Ayr service calls at Irvine on 6 February 2019. Irvine has original (or at least old) buildings on both sides, but neither of the non-matching ...
David Panton 06/02/2019
Welcome to Irvine - see adjacent news item. ...
John Yellowlees 29/08/2012
A Saturday St Enoch - Darvel train restarts from the Irvine stop on 4 July 1959. In charge is one of Hurlford shed's 2P 4-4-0s no 40645. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 04/07/1959
Northbound Freightliner 66509 heading to the south (via Shields Junction) through Irvine working 6E06 Killoch to York Yard South on 15 August - an ...
Ken Browne 15/08/2016
4 of 23 images. more


This signal box was on the branch to Crosshouse and Kilmarnock just south east of Irvine station. The box was on the south side of the line with storage sidings, served from Irvine, on the south side of the line. The box controlled access to Irvine Goods (built in the curve of the start of the Crosshouse branch) and Irvine Permanent Way Depot workshops.
...

More details


This charmingly named signal box was between Irvine and Dreghorn. It was located on the south side of the junction and controlled the mineral line which ran east and south to Montgomeryfield Colliery, then east to Springside Colliery No 11 Pit and Springside Colliery No 10 Pit.
...

More details


This was a two platform station to the north of Dreghorn on the east side of a level crossing. The main station building was on the westbound platform.
...

More details


This 1848 junction was just east of Capringstone Bridge and was for a branch which ran north to Capringstone Coal Pit No 7 and Perceton Fireclay Works. The branch made a trailing connection to the eastbound line. Just to the west was a second siding, for Capringstone Coal Pit No 8, also on the north side and approached from the east.
...

More details


This was a two platform station north of Springside. It was to the west of a road overbridge. The station did not open with the line. Springside Farm was to the immediate south and miner's rows were to the north (the Kirkland Rows). Modern Springside is a little further south.
...

More details


This junction for the Busbie Colliery Railway was between Springside and Crosshouse stations.
...

More details


This signal box controlled a point of access to a colliery line to Southhook, Overton and Warwickhill Collieries from the Irvine to Crosshouse railway.
...

More details


This box was between the sites of South Hook Signal Box and Plann Signal Box.
...

More details


This signal box was a little west of Crosshouse on the line to Irvine. It was on the north side of the line, just west of the siding for Plann Fireclay Works and Plann Colliery. The branch made a trailing connection to the westbound line. A second colliery line came off the branch, ran parallel to the main line for a short distance before turning south.
...

More details


This station was immediately west of Busbie Junction. This was the junction between the 1843 Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway and its 1848 line to Irvine which provided an outlet for Ayrshire coal at Ardrossan and opened in the same year as the Galston branch, Muirkirk [1st] branch and the main line extended as far as Auchinleck.
...

More details

See also
Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway
Crosshouse Junction looking to the former station. Directly behind the camera was a buffer stop. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
Irvine platforms at Crosshouse looking to Kilmarnock. The Dalry platforms were to the left and to the left of them the was the goods yard. ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
2P 4-4-0 40643 leaving Crosshouse on 6 June 1953 at the head of an Ardrossan - Kilmarnock train. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 06/05/1953
Crosshouse Junction looking to Kilmarnock. After closure the Kilmarnock bound track remained in place for some time. In fact by this date, 1988, the ...
Ewan Crawford //1988
4 of 13 images. more


This was a double track junction south east of Crosshouse station. The original Glasgow - Kilmarnock line (1843) was met by the line from Irvine (1848). The location name is spelt variously Busby and Busbie. Ordnance Survey favoured the latter.
...

More details

See also
Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway





Irvine Goods

This signal box was on the branch to Crosshouse and Kilmarnock just south east of Irvine station. The box was on the south side of the line with storage sidings, served from Irvine, on the south side of the line. The box controlled access to Irvine Goods (built in the curve of the start of the Crosshouse branch) and Irvine Permanent Way Depot workshops.
...

More details


Corkerhill Standard class 5 4-6-0 no 73122 stands with a lengthy freight in the sidings at Irvine Goods, thought to be in the early sixties, with the ...
Ken Browne Collection //
1 of 1 images.