Opened on the Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway.
Open on the G and SW Main Line.
This is a two platform station. There is a small car park on the east side.
The main station building was on the northbound platform with a smaller one on the southbound.
There was a goods yard which was on the east side of the line and accessed from the south. This had a stone goods yard.
A signal box opened with the station in 1871. The box was on the west side of the line and south of the northbound platform, located between the line and a siding on the west side. The box was replaced in 1891.
The signal box closed in 1968.
In 1973 the line was singled, the southbound track being renewed before the northbound was lifted entirely. The northbound platform fell into dereliction and was largely removed except the lower course of its stone platform facing.
The goods shed survived in other uses until the whole goods yard was redeveloped for housing.
The line was redoubled in 2009 and the northbound platform reinstated. It is one of two station on a long loop (so called 'Dynamic Loop') from Stewarton to Lugton.
Other railway and industry locations
Lugton East Sidings
Lugton L and A Junction
Lugton East Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|