Princes Dock

Location type

Place


Names and dates

Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard [1st] (1851-1871)
Princes Dock (1896-1970)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was a large dock consisting of a canting basin, to the west, and wharfage, to the east, with two large piers. The quaysides were lines with warehousing, cranes and railway lines. Of this complex, only the canting basin remains.

The east portion was infilled in the 1980s, becoming the site of the Glasgow Garden Festival in 1988.

The dock was built on the site of the original Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard of J&G Thomson. The shipyard was relocated to Clyde Bank Iron Shipyard [2nd] at Barns O' Clyde, now known as Clydebank after the shipyard.


Tags

Dock

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67