Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Station code: BDG National Rail ScotRail
This is a two platform station.
The original configuration of this station was somewhat unusual - two platforms on either side of the line to Rutherglen and an island platform on the line to Carmyle. Platforms were heavily canopied.
On the south side of the island platform were carriage sidings and a goods yard, approached from the west. The island platform itself was partly belong London Road but with the south elevation open.
The station had two signal boxes, one at the west end controlling the junction between the two lines and another at the east end on the line to Carmyle. The latter closed in 1934 taken over by the junction box. In 1956 the line was re-signalled with a power box opening here and at Stobcross.
The station closed in 1964.
The two platforms on the Rutherglen route re-opened in 1979. The island platform remains in ruinous condition as the Carmyle route did not re-open. The site of the sidings is now occupied by housing.
To the north, over London Road, was the London Road Iron Works which did not have direct railway access.
London Road [Glasgow]
| Bridgeton Depot|
Canning Street Tunnel
Bridgeton Central Tunnel
Dalmarnock Road Tunnel
Templeton Carpet Factory
Bridgeton Cross Tunnel
Dalmarnock Iron Works
London Road Tunnel
Bridgeton Gas Works
Bellgrove Cattle Bank South
London Road Junction [Glasgow]
Bellgrove Coal Depot
Bridgeton Cross South Junction
Glasgow Green [Park]
The People's Palace
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/04/1893||City of Glasgow Union Railway|
Glasgow and South Western Railway services through the St Johns Tunnel to Gallowgate Central and on to Bridgeton begin.