Hyde Park Works [2nd]

Location type

Works


Name and dates

Hyde Park Works [2nd] (1861-1962)

Served by the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This works dated from 1861, being built alongside the still new 1855 Sighthill Branch of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway at a green field site. It was opened by Neilson and Company. That company's previous works, Hyde Park Works [1st], was on Hyde Park Street, Finnieston, the same name being used for the new works.

The works were bounded by the railway on the north and east sides, Ayr Street to the west and Flemington Street to the south. The original distinctive offices bordered Ayr Street. Rail access faced Cowlairs.

The works expanded east along Flemington Street. In 1898 the company became Neilson, Reid and Company. In 1903, the company combined with Dübs and Company and Sharp Stewart and Company to form the North British Locomotive Company.

In 1908/9 the 'combine' opened a new headquarters on the south side of Flemington Street. The former director's entrance features a stone locomotive bursting out of the building with 'Speed' and 'Science' spelled out on either side. This was not the only building in Springburn with a goddess and a locomotive - the Public Halls of 1902 also had one (demolished 2012).

Increasing financial difficulties led to the company going into liquidation in 1962.

The works north of Flemington Street were demolished by the early 1980s, the concrete base of the buildings remaining but overgrown for some time. The large site was progressively redeveloped for housing and other purposes.

The headquarters building became part of Stow College and later Springburn College. This became North Glasgow College and in 2009 relocated to a new campus on the north side of Flemington Street, the last remaining part of the works site to not have been redeveloped.

The headquarters is now Flemington House, a business centre.


Tags

Works

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67